12.29.2008

No pictures, but a new (embarassing) obsession.

So Christmas was good! For those of you who would like to know, there was no sparkly this year, but no big deal....I wasn't really expecting it. I did, however, get to go to the Movin' Out show at the Beau Rivage! Scott got us a pair of tickets for the show on the 19th. It was my "big" Christmas present and it was soooo great! Our seats were supposed to be in the upper section of the theater, but we arrived about 5 minutes into the production and the usher asked if we would like to sit closer. I told her we would and she took us to our new, closer seats....2nd row, center stage! It was awesome!! You could see every expression on the dancers' faces, every pointed toe, everything....such a perfect gift for me! Then on Christmas, I got Tupperware from my parents...yep, that's a big deal because this is the 2nd year I asked them to get me a "nice" matching set of Tupperware. Last year I got a chest freezer instead...yeah, I didn't understand that either. Anyway, Christmas was fantastic.

Now I realize that this would be the perfect blog to post fun Christmas pictures on, but I'm a dork and didn't take any pics. I don't know why. It could be because I refuse to add any more photos to the pile I swear I'm going to scrapbook...or it could be because I just suck at capturing memories. At any rate, sorry for the lack of pictures. I'll try to be better in '09.

Onto my new, embarrasing obsession. It all started innocently enough on Christmas Day at my brother's house. My sister-in-law, who is a lovely chick, asked me if I had read anything good lately. I told her I hadn't read anything that I just couldn't put down because I normally stick to the fluffy stuff. She told me she had been reading some books about vampires. I thought, okay, I'll keep this conversation going, because it's not often that Amanda and I actually have anything to talk about. She's great, but is pretty reserved...and well, I'm not at all! So I asked her more about the books. She got really excited and brought 2 very thick books to me and said, "You've got to read these!" Of course, I'm sure you've all figured out that the books she showed me we the first 2 of the Twilight saga. Now I swear, I have not been living under rocks lately, it's just that as much as I adore celebrity gossip, I don't really get into movies. Apparently, this is a huge "tween/teen" thing....who knew?
I told Amanda I would read the first one and when I finished it, I would get the 2nd from her. She told me to go ahead and take both, but I didn't even though she said she'd finished the first in 4 days and the second in less than that. I thought, there is no way I'm jumping on this bandwagon! Boy was I wrong! So, I started the first book Thursday night around 7:30 and read for about 2 hours (Scott finally made me show him some attention). I finished that one on Saturday around noon. As soon as I finished that book, like the addict I am, I was trying to figure out how soon I could get the next one. I sent Amanda a text to tell her thanks for lending it to me and she was right. She called me and laughed that I'd finished it that quickly and told me she'd leave the 2nd one for me on the back porch the next morning so I could pick it up....
So I did pick it up, yesterday after lunch....I went to my parent's house and visited with Mom, the whole time wishing I could just find a quiet place to read undisturbed. I got home around 4:30 and piddled around....trying not to get the shakes, because the book was on the table and I felt obligated to do a few chores before I lost hours and hours in this story. So at 5-ish last night, I began the second book. I read for an hour and then had to cook dinner for my boys. Normally, cooking for them is no big deal, but they were interuppting my reading time. After dinner we sat around and I gave Scott and Tristan my undivided attention. When they finally left at 8:30, I was so relieved...I could finally find out what was happening to all of my "new friends". I read until 11 and I only have about 100 pages left to read now. I don't know what I'm gonna do when this book is over...Amanda is getting the 3rd and 4th book from a friend of hers for Christmas so it will be a week before I can get my hands on my next fix!!! I refuse to buy the 3rd and 4th books though...the less evidence the better.
Anyway, so I'm embarassed. The writing in this series is phenomenally easy to read and the characters are pretty easy to relate to and invest in, but I feel so guilty about reading this series. Is it 'cause I know that there are a million 13-18 year old girls crushing hard on the vampire boy? I don't have a crush on any of the vampires. Sure, they're way cool, but Edward and his clan are a little to "girly man" for me. Oh well, if you call and can't get in touch with me, you know what I'll be doing for the next couple of days.

2 comments:

Temple said...

Welcome to the Twilight fan club!! And I can send you like a dozen other vamp series to read if you're interested...cheezy vamp books are my little obsession these days :)

Congrats on the awesome Xmas...no sparkly here either, but I wasn't expecting it now either so no biggie...but later this year... :)

Knocked Up in Bama said...

lol...you're into it now!

I've read the first three, but never read the last one. I guess I need to do that, but after you go without it for a while, you kinda lose the addiction.

Also, may I suggest the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris? They are my crack and much better than that stupid Trueblood show they made....they ruined my name! Bah!

Happy New Year!